Sunday, January 17, 2010

Livelihood

Lately I have been preoccupied with trying to decide what career path to take. There are too many options out there fraught with risks both monetary and social that prevent me from taking a concrete step in any direction. My philosophical and political leanings certainly don't help the matter. I believe most careers are bullshit that require expensive bullshit education so we get hired by bullshit corporations. I am cynical and skeptical of almost every career out there except family farms which is not an option for someone like me who neither has the money nor the connections to start a farming business. I like simplicity and straightforwardness and farming seems to be the only thing that matters -- it is about making food so you can survive and thrive. It is a direct meaningful link to livelihood.

Making 8.50 an hour is not adequate if I want to live an independent life while maintaining a certain lifestyle. I need Internet connection, I need a car, I need healthful organic food. Those things cannot be had at $1000 a month without strict budgeting and stress. In a better world, the need for those things would not exist. Better public transportation and city infrastructure would make having a car unnecessary and without the existence of a handful of corporations in control of all the food production of the world without regard for nutrition or health, the word "organic" wouldn't be part of the modern lingo.

Thinking about making a living in a sick world depresses me.

No comments: